When I was younger, I had all this bubbly energy that allowed me to conquer the world and still have time to prep, chop, and cook a whole meal even if it took me two hours.
My addiction to meal kit deliveries started when I realized I was ordering way too much takeout and heating processed foods just to feed my family now that life has become so fast-paced.
When I first stumbled upon HelloFresh, I enjoyed their take on traditional meals that left my tummy warm and my heart full. After testing out various free meal kit deliveries, I found myself favoring SunBasket over Hello Fresh.
Cost per Meal
- SunBasket – under $13
- Hello Fresh – under $9
Average Weekly Cost
- SunBasket – around $71
- HelloFresh – around $88
- SunBasket – first box ships for free, then it’s around $7 a week.
- HelloFresh – around $8
Meal Plan Options
- Chef’s choice
- Lean and clean
- Fresh and Ready
- Hello Fresh
- Meat and Vegetables
- Calorie Smart
- Quick and Easy
Meals per Week
- Two to four recipes
- Two to five recipes
- Two and four people
- Two and four people
Number of Recipes on the Menu
- 20 recipes
- Around 20
Number of Meals p/w
- Two to four meals
- Two to five meals
- Salmon with roasted new potatoes and green beans
- Grilled steak with roasted poblanos and new mexican chile
- Steaks with chimichurri and harissa-roasted sweet potatoes
- Roast chicken with spiced cauliflower and green romesco
- Thai turkey lettuce cups
- Pork sausage spaghetti bolognese
- Kickin’ BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches
- Smokehouse pulled chicken bowls
- Santa fe pork tacos
- Figgy balsamic pork
Delivery Service Coverage
- SunBasket – 47 states in the US
- HelloFresh – 48 states in the US
- SunBasket – Two meals per week for two people
- HelloFresh – Two servings and two meals each week
Review Summary: HelloFresh and SunBasket are two of the most popular meal kit services in the United States. Their take on fresh ingredients and healthful recipes make it possible for people like me—who have very little time on their hands, to have the satisfaction of a home-cooked meal with less effort. HelloFresh focuses on more traditional recipes that are familiar and easy to prepare. On the other hand, SunBasket continues to grab my attention with their various food choices that include soups, snacks, a wider variety of food from different cuisines, and their option for fresh yet ready to heat meals.
Meal Options Comparison
Hello Fresh vs. Sun Basket
Both SunBasket and HelloFresh are known for their quality ingredients and delicious recipes. However, a quick look at their menu tells you that each company takes a different direction when it comes to the meal choices they offer. For one, SunBasket caters to more specific diets like Paleo and Keto, while HelloFresh focuses on more basic meal requirements.
How Does Sun Basket Work?
SunBasket starts off by asking you to create an account or logging in. Their meal ordering process is slightly more complicated compared to HelloFresh, but only because you have 10 meal preference options to choose from.
You’ll also be asked to choose how many servings and meals you’d like to get each week, plus when you’d like to have them delivered. After confirming your shipping details, you’ll be taken to the menu that corresponds with your meal preferences.
- There are ten meal preferences to choose from
- Chef’s choice
- Fresh and ready
- Lean and Clean
- You can choose between two and four servings per 7 days
- You can choose two to four meals per 7 days
- You’re able to choose your meals prior to being prompted to checkout which is nice if—like me, you want to be able to see what meals they offer for the week before making a commitment.
How Does Hello Fresh Work?
HelloFresh boasts an array of critically-acclaimed chef review and their commitment to farm-to-table cooking.
Ordering from HelloFresh is a straightforward process that takes around five minutes unless you’re having trouble picking out which meals you want for the week.
You’ll start by choosing your meal preferences, family plan size, and checkout before you’re able to select which meals you want for the week.
- You can choose between six meal preferences
- Meat and Veggies
- Family or kid-friendly
- Low calorie
- Quick and easy
- You can choose between two or four people servings
- You can choose from two to five recipes each week
- HelloFresh requires you checkout prior to viewing what meals they have to offer for the week.
Plans & Prices Compared
Both services require a minimum order of two meals for two people each week. As mentioned before, both meal kit delivery companies let you choose from a variety of meal preferences like diabetc-friendly or low-calorie. I especially like that both companies have a standardized price across all meal preferences instead of hiking the price for certain options.
SunBasket meals range from around $11 to $13 per serving. When you first open their website, you’re prompted with a SunBasket promo code offer when you enter your email address.
If you want to save on your first box, then this is something you should look into. SunBasket’s meal plans are also universally charged.
Regardless of whether you’re choosing meals for two or four people, you’ll be charged at the same price.
Two Recipes – around $13
Three Recipes – around $12
Four Recipes – about $11
SunBasket ships to 47 states across the US and charges a flat rate of about $8 per box, but your first box ships for free.
HelloFresh pricing is a bit more complex compared to SunBasket just because their pricing depends on how many servings and meals you get instead of depending just on the number of servings.
But it’s also ideal if you want to get a better discount for group meals.
Two People Serving
- Two meals – around $12 per portion
- Three meals – around $9 per portion
- Four meals – around $9 per portion
- Five meals – around $9 per portion
Four People Serving
- Two meals – around $9 per portion
- Three meals – about $8 per portion
- Four meals – under $8 per portion
Like SunBasket, HelloFresh charges a flat fee of around $8 for shipping.
How Much Does Sun Basket Cost a Week?
The two-person best meal classic plan will cost you under $80 a week on average. While the four-person meal plan will cost under $150 on average. SunBasket pricing ranges from $11 to $13.
This sounds a little pricey, but their range of diet-specific meals, fresh ingredients, and delicious recipes make the price well worth it.
Two Person Meal Plan
- Two p/w – under $60
- Three p/w – under $80
- Four p/w – under $96
Four Person Meal Plan
- Two p/w – under $112
- Three p/w – under $152
- Four p/w – under $184
Is HelloFresh Worth the Money?
HelloFresh is definitely worth the money. With over 20 recipes curated by critically-acclaimed chefs each week combined with their farm-to-table advocacy, you’re guaranteed high-quality ingredients, a delicious meal, and fun to follow recipes for an average cost of $9 per meal. This is the concept behind HelloFresh, which opened in 2011 and is the second-biggest meal kit company in the United States after Blue Apron.
Best Menu Selection
While both HelloFresh and SunBasket give you 20 recipes to choose from regardless of your meal preference, they vary when it comes to dietary options and the type of meals they offer. I preferred SunBasket’s menu only because they featured more adventurous recipes and catered to various cuisines. On the other hand, HelloFresh focused on more familiar home cooking.
SunBasket gives you 10 meal preferences to choose from. Aside from that, you’re also able to view their menu and select your meals prior to checkout.
This is something that I appreciated since I don’t want to make a commitment only to be stuck picking recipes from a menu that I ended up not liking.
- Each SunBasket meal preference gets its own menu of around 20 meals to choose from (including gluten-free meal).
- SunBasket features more than just traditional American meals and familiar meals. They also venture out to include cuisine from all over the world.
- You’ll also be able to add-on lunch, breakfast, snack, and even soup options to your basket each week.
- SunBasket also offers ready to heat meals for days where you know you don’t have more than five minutes to prepare a meal.
HelloFresh sticks to more familiar cooking. But that doesn’t mean you won’t find Mediterranean, Italian, or Asian meals on their menu.
It just means their flavor profiles are more familiar and less adventurous.
If you’re dealing with picky eaters, this makes it easier to choose meals.
- HelloFresh recipes are simpler, and easier to follow compared to SunBasket.
- The company allows you to choose from different meal preference menus to fully customize your plan.
- HelloFresh requires that you checkout prior to viewing their menus. This is something I didn’t appreciate, but it was admittedly a minor inconvenience.
Sustainability & Packaging
One of the biggest problems I have with services is waste. The amount of waste dedicated to packaging is appalling. That’s why I like to choose businesses that use as little packaging as possible.
HelloFresh and Sun Basket review like to highlight sustainably-sourced ingredients as well as eco-friendly packaging. Both companies utilize cardboard boxes to ship your meal kits and segregate ingredients as much as possible to avoid cross-contamination.
SunBasket likes to highlight the fact that their packaging is not only 100% recyclable, but it’s also compostable.
The team employs the help of top environmentally-conscious designers to keep their food fresh and eco-friendly at the same time.
- The box itself is made of recycled kraft paper and is designed to go directly into your recycling bin.
- The box is insulated with shredded recycled paper filling and remains recyclable even when wet.
- Each SunBasket box also comes with a High Heat Insulation pack that is made of reclaimed denim and recyclable low-density #4 polyethylene.
- Their boxes also come with ice packs that you can either reuse or recycle afterward.
- Unfortunately, they utilize some plastic bags for hormone-free meats and other ingredients like nuts and grains. You might also find some reusable PET containers in your box. But the good thing is, they’re all made of recyclable material. You just need to find a facility near you that accepts them.
Each meal is packed separately into a brown paper bag that is clearly labeled.
This saves you time from having to sort through various ingredients trying to figure out which goes where.
HelloFresh packs their meal kits similarly to SunBasket.
You’ll find that they also use cardboard boxes, the same type of insulation, ice bags to keep your food chilled, and they also maintain a high level of sanitation, eco-friendliness, and convenience in their packaging.
- Each meal is packed separately in brown paper bags to make it easier for you to sort through them.
- Meats are packaged separately to avoid cross-contamination.
- Their vegetables are not packed individually, so it lessens the amount of unnecessary packaging.
Quality of Ingredients
The whole reason why I tried out SunBasket and HelloFresh is that they promise fresh, seasonal ingredients. And on all fronts, both services deliver well. You’ll get a good assortment of premium ingredients that are fresh from farms that employ the highest sustainable practices.
SunBasket promises all-organic ingredients where possible. This is also one of the main reasons why the company is a few dollars more expensive compared to HelloFresh.
Their advocacy for organic produce and sustainably-sourced ingredients is what separated them from other meal kit services in the market.
On the other hand, HelloFresh does not put a focus on all-organic ingredients.
However, they put an emphasis on sustainable farming practices and make it a point to source locally from family-owned farms as much as possible. Their meats are hormone, antibiotic, and cruelty-free.
Signing Up And Canceling
Both HelloFresh and SunBasket have a straightforward and simple sign-up process.
You’ll be prompted to enter your details, select your meal plan, meal preferences, and view how much their plans cost from the beginning.
However, HelloFresh (like a Green Chef, Home Chef) requires you to complete the checkout before you can view their menu.
This is something I didn’t like since I can’t preview the meal selections before making a commitment. This is why I prefer SunBasket’s sign-up process over HelloFresh.
Another thing to note is that both companies don’t require a minimum commitment.
You can try a one-week delivery and cancel if you don’t want another delivery. Just make sure you cancel before their cut-off times.
Customer Service & Support
Both companies are easy to reach and have a reliable customer service team working for them.
I’m someone who likes to ask a lot of questions before and after making a purchase. So being able to reach customer service through multiple channels like chat, phone, or email was a plus.
I found that both companies’ customer support responded within 24 hours and were eager to assist me on anything I needed help with.
Which Service is Better?
Hello Fresh and SunBasket are two unique meal kit delivery services that focus on healthy eating, well-balanced food, and premium ingredients.
While I appreciated the fact that HelloFresh provided more familiar meal options as well as large recipe cards that were well illustrated and easy to follow, I found that I favor SunBasket more.
HelloFresh focuses on more traditional flavors. And most of the time that’s something I like. I like it when a service is consistent in putting out recipes that you can rely on.
Their dedication to farm-to-table cooking and easy to follow recipes makes it easy to cook a healthy meal for your family.
Is Dinnerly Cheaper Than Grocery Shopping?
According to a study from the market intelligence firm, Canadean, 65 percent of grocery shopping in the U.S. is done via mail order or a website. In that same report, 73 percent of respondents say they plan to do a lot or a little more online shopping this year, with many also looking for quicker and less expensive options. It’s easy to see the appeal of ordering groceries online; saving money and getting in and out quickly. Is Dinnerly, the startup that aims to bring grocery shopping online, the best choice?
Dinnerly wants to be that low-price, fast grocery delivery service. While they don’t offer free delivery to all of their customers, it is available at certain events. For example, you can get $10 off your first order if you attend their demo event at, Liberty Tap Room, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, July 13.
However, if you want to have more variety with your meal choices, especially if you follow a specific diet like Paleo, SunBasket is the better choice. Their advocacy for organic ingredients also justifies the average $12 per meal cost.