It’s no secret that I gained a little bit of weight over the course of a few months this year.
I’m no slob, and I try to eat healthy when I can, but with the abundance of work and life getting in the way, I found myself reaching for the odd chocolate bar more than twice a day. So I decided to try out two meal kit delivery services that guarantee weight loss results.
Medifast and Wonderslim are two popular diet meal delivery companies that I decided to look into to lose weight.
While Medifast is a good option if you want to make an upfront 30-day commitment, Wonderslim’s plans are more affordable and require less initial commitment.
Below if my quick review of both services and what you should choose to maximize your health and weight loss!
- Medifast – free shipping
- Wonderslim – free shipping via FedEx
Average Cost per Meal
- Medifast – under $3
- Wonderslim – under $2
Delivery Coverage in the US
- Medifast delivers to 50 states
- Wonderslim delivers to 50 states
- Weight loss
- No gluten
- Weight loss
- No gluten
- GO! Plan
- Achieve Plan
- Basic Essentials
- Core Classic Plan
- Premium Complete Plan
- Diabetic-Friendly Plans
- Nursing Mothers Plans
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Naturally-flavored Macaroni and Cheese
- Turkey Meatball Marinara
- Beef Stew
- Chicken with Rice and Vegetables
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Spicy Cheese and Pasta
- Protein Mug Cake
- Cheese Steak Macaroni
- Marinara Ziti
- Medifast – 6 meals a day for 30 days
- Wonderslim – 7 meals a day for 3 days
Review Summary: Wonderslim and Medifast are two diets and weight loss-focused meal kit delivery services. Both companies offer a selection of recipe kits that are nearly identical and require little to no preparation. Medifast is a good option if you want to commit to a steady 30-day diet plan that is pre-determined for you. However, Wonderslim is a better option if you’re looking for a cheaper, 150% money-back guarantee, more customizable program that allows you to commit from as little as 3 days to 12 weeks.
Programs Overview & How the Programs Work
While both Wonderslim and Medifast are heavily focused on delivering convenient diet diet kits, there are also a handful of recipe options which require some prep and cooking. But one thing you’ll notice immediately is that most of their options are similar and they also offer an array of prepared meals.
Like most diet-centric meal plan companies, their programs rely on the precise portioning of food, combined with a thoroughly researched blend of ingredients that aid in weight loss.
I have to warn you, though, and their portion sizes may seem quite small. So if you’re used to eating your heart out, you may want to opt for a meal plan option that gives you more servings each day.
Wonderslim offers a bit more flexibility compared to Medifast. This is mainly because you’re able to choose your meals instead of having to stick to a predetermined diet plan. Unlike Medifast offers, their plans cater to men and women specifically instead of having one universal menu for both genders despite the difference in nutritional requirements.
- Their meals follow a strict calorie count of 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day for women and 1,500 to 1,700 calories a day for men
- You start and end your day with a meal replacement option like their Chocolate Cream pudding
- Following their strict diet plan requires additional purchases like fruit and a serving of dairy products to keep you full.
- You’ll be expected to follow a strict eating schedule with as little as 6 meals a day.
Medifast follows a more traditional diet plan approach. You’re given a preset list of meals along with a schedule you need to follow precisely to see any results.
Like Wonderslim, your meals are pre-portioned so you don’t have to worry about calorie counting.
- You are expected to eat every 2 ½ hours on average.
- Their Medifast GO! meal plan focuses on a 30-day diet without gluten.
- Your food is chosen for you, but you will be able to purchase add-ons.
My Experience Using Both Services
I enjoyed both services and found that each one was ideal for a different point in my life. For example, I didn’t mind the lack of flexibility Medifast had for choosing meals the first time around since I didn’t really know what to choose or which food I would prefer throughout the first thirty days. That made the process much easier for me.
On the other hand, Wonderslim’s shorter plan commitments made it easier for me to choose which meals I wanted for the first two weeks.
And if you find yourself feeling a bit indecisive and overwhelmed by their various recipe choices, you could always opt for their customer favorites plan. It combines all of its customer’s top selected and best-rated meals, so you don’t have to feel the pressure of choosing.
I also noticed that Medifast’s customer service reps were easier to get a hold of. I don’t mean to say that Wonderslim lacked in the customer service department, but that they took longer to respond, and that Medifast support is available more often than Wonderslim support.
Meal Options Compared
Wonderslim gives you more freedom to choose your meals. On the other hand, Medifast sets up a specific menu for every plan you choose. Another issue that is often brought up with food delivery services like these is: how convenient are they?
Both companies utilize meal replacements like shakes and puddings and provide you with a wide assortment of bars and healthy snacks. These options cut down prep and cooking times significantly.
You’ll notice that you’ll only be required to cook at most two times each day depending on the daily plan each company sets out for you.
Wonderslim allows you to choose from a variety of meal replacements, snacks, and meals that you’ll be eating throughout your plan. Each of their menu items are conveniently pre-portioned and requires very little to no prep or cooking, which maintains its convenience.
- There are five main plans to choose from: the basic, core, and premium weight loss plans, diabetic-friendly plans, and nursing mothers’ plans. Each plan is designed to help aid in healthy weight loss, improved health, and meet the specific needs of each plan you choose.
- You can also opt for the customer favorites menu, which is pre-selected for you if you’re having trouble choosing which meals to get.
- There are 61 snacks and bars to choose from.
- There are 24 meal replacements to choose from.
- Wonderslim also carries vegan options.
- There are a total of 150 food options on the Wonderslim menu.
Medifast meals are non-negotiable. You will be given a pre-selected menu for each plan which you will have to follow strictly to see any results.
This is a good option if you find it hard to select your own foods and would like to leave it up to the experts.
However, it also means you might find some of the meals, snacks, and meal replacements unappetizing.
- There are two plans to choose from: GO! And Achieve Plans. Both plans carry gluten-free food options and are designed to focus on weight loss.
- Each meal that you need to cook comes with guidelines and recipes. You’ll also receive food that is pre-portioned to meet the needs of your new diet.
Plans & Prices Compared
Both companies offer well-priced meals for under $3. Some of their plans are even covered by free shipping promos, and you’ll find that there are several added bonuses like an eating-out guide and food diary with each plan. However, it is clear that Wonderslim is significantly cheaper compared to Medifast, with their meals sticking to an under $2 price tag-free shipping.
Wonderslim meals cater to men and women specifically. The only difference between each plan option is that men typically get around 1,500 to 1,700 calories each day while women eat around 1,000 to 1,200 calories. Each plan gets a free daily tracker, meal guide, grocery shopping list, food diary, and 20-ounce shaker bottle.
Easy Start 3-Day Meal Plan
- Cost: under $40
- Inclusions: 9 shakes, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 snacks, and 3 desserts
Basic 2-Week Diet
- Cost: under $125
- Inclusions: 6 boxes meal substitution, 2 boxes bars and snacks, 60ct WonderSlim Multislim, and 120ct Multislim EFAs
Basic 4-Week Diet
- Cost: around $205
- Inclusions: 12 boxes meal substitution, 4 boxes bars and snacks, 60ct Wonderslim Multislim, and 120ct Multislim EFAs
Basic 8-Week Diet
- Cost: under $360
- Inclusions: 24 boxes meal rep-ts, 8 boxes bars and snacks, 120ct WonderSlim Multislim, and 240ct Multislim EFAs
Basic 12-Week Diet
- Cost: under $500
- Inclusions: 26 boxes meal rep-ts, 12 boxes bars and snacks, 180ct Wonderslim Multislim, and 3600ct Multislim EFAs
Core 2-Week Diet
- Cost: under $145
- Inclusions: 6 boxes meal rep-ts, 2 boxes bars and snacks, 2 boxes lunch supplements, 30ct Wonderslim Multislim, and 120ct Multislim EFAs
Core 4-Week Diet
- Cost: Under $245
- Inclusions: 12 boxes meal rep-ts, 4 boxes lunch supplements, 4 boxes bars and snacks, 60ct Multislim, and 120ct Multislim EFAs
Core 8-Week Diet
- Cost: under $430
- Inclusions: 24 boxes meal rep-ts, 8 boxes lunch supplements, 8 boxes bars and snacks, 120ct Wonderslim, and 240ct EFAs
Core 12-Week Diet
- Cost: under $590
- Inclusions: 36 boxes rep-ts, 12 boxes lunch supplements, 12 boxes bars and snacks, 180ct Multislim, and 360 ct EFAs
Premium 2-Week Diet
- Cost: Under $190
- Inclusions: 6 boxes meal rep-ts, 2 boxes breakfast supplements, 2 boxes lunch supplements, 2 boxes bars and snacks, 2 boxes dessert supplements, 30ct Wonderslim, and 120ct EFAs
Premium 4-Week Diet
- Cost: under $320
- Inclusions: 12 boxes meal rep-ts, 4 boxes breakfast supplements, 4 boxes lunch supplements, 4 boxes bars and snacks, 4 boxes dessert supplements, 60ct Wonderslim, and 120ct EFAs
Premium 8-Week Diet
- Cost: around $530
- Inclusions: 24 boxes meal rep-ts, 8 boxes breakfast supplements, 8 boxes lunch supplements, 8 boxes bars and snacks, 8 boxes dessert supplements, 120ct MultiSlim, and 240ct Wonderslim EFAs
Premium 12-Week Diet
- Cost: under $740
- Inclusions: 36 boxes meal replacements, 12 boxes breakfast supplements, 12 boxes lunch supplements, 12 boxes bars and snacks, 12 boxes dessert supplements, 180ct Multislim, and 360ct EFAs.
Medifast’s diet programs come with a blender bottle and a welcome kit, food journal, and dining out guide that corresponds with the plan you choose. There are two plans to choose from and both of them cover 30 days’ worth of meals for one person.
- Cost: around $340, free shipping
- Inclusions: 5 Medifast meals and 1 lean and green option per day
- Cost: $323, free shipping
- Inclusions: 4 Medifast meals, 2 lean and green foods, and 1 snack each day
- There are also a few microwaveable food options included in this plan
- Bonuses: Healthy living workbook
Best Menu Selection
Both companies have a variety of shakes, barks, healthy snacks, and food to choose from. However, Wonderslim gives you more autonomy over your meals by letting you choose. On the other hand, Medifast only lets you choose your add-ons.
The Wonderslim menu has over 100 items for you to choose from. These include replacement meals like puddings and shakes, high-protein bars, healthy snacks, and food you need to prepare yourself. They have various vegan, no gluten, and vegetarian food options. And they also have specific diet plans to meet diabetic and nursing health requirements.
Medifast carries less than 100 items on their menu, but they don’t let you choose meals yourself. It’s not a bad thing unless you find that most of the food assigned to you are ones you won’t enjoy.
One thing I did enjoy about Medifast’s food choices is that they also have microwaveable food options. And since the reason I’m looking into services like these in the first place is convenient, having ready to eat healthy meals is a good bonus.
Quality of Ingredients
Both Wonderslim and Medifast promise the use of healthy ingredients that aid in weight loss programs. This usually means you won’t find any artificial colorants or sweeteners on their ingredients lists, which is always a good idea.
Wonderslim sticks to an FDA-approved facility that is regularly inspected for their food practices. Most of their meal replacements, shakes, bars, and snacks are free from aspartame. And their easy to navigate ingredients list helps you distinguish which recipe options contain ingredients you may not want to consume.
Like Wonderslim, Medifast veers away from artificial sweeteners and colorants when possible. Their ingredients are carefully selected by doctors and curated into food that are healthy, nutritious, and delicious.
Number of Recipes
When it comes to recipe variety, Wonderslim is clearly ahead of Medifast. Wonderslim boasts an extensive menu of around 125 carefully portioned meal options which include shakes, meal replacements, puddings, bars, snacks, and meals.
On the other hand, Medifast only carries around 65 meal options. However, they also have microwaveable food options.
Unfortunately, because Medifast’s meal options are very limited, you may find yourself eating the same things over and over.
That means it’s not really a viable option if you’re looking for a diet meal kits plan for more than 30 days.
Martha and Marley Spoon, and SunBasket are two meal kit delivery services that promise fresh, delicious, and healthy ingredients delivered right to your doorstep.
They’re an ideal option if you’re looking for something that is still health-centered but is a far cry from the usual protein bars and meal replacement shakes.
Martha and Marley Spoon is best suited for anyone who enjoys cooking all the time and doesn’t mind the extra meal prep as long as you have a recipe to follow and pre-portioned ingredients. On the other hand, SunBasket offers a wide variety of meal kits that cater to multiple diet preferences. Plus, they also have ready to heat meal options.
Martha and Marley Spoon
Martha and Marley Spoon boasts a collection of some of Martha Stewart’s best recipes. Their meal options are both traditional and include a modern twist. The food requires some prep work and will take a bit of your time afterward for cleaning up, but if you want healthy, delicious meals for under $11 depending on the meal plan you choose, Marley Spoon is a good option for you.
SunBasket, on the other hand, is more versatile when it comes to meal options and the kinds of meals you’ll be preparing. There are various choices that include snacks, breakfast, lunch, and even ready to heat meals. This service is something you should look into if you want a consistent stream of fresh, healthy, delicious ingredients accompanied by delicious recipes delivered to your home for around $11.50 a meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
With the abundance of weight-loss and health-centered meal kit delivery services out there, it’s understandable that you might feel a little confused. Below, I’ve answered some of the questions I asked myself when starting out and some that my clients often ask of me.
The main difference between Optavia and Medifast is the one-on-one coaching feature. Optavia is owned by Medifast, and most of their meal options and plans are geared towards the same thing: weight loss, low-calorie, healthy meals. However, Optavia comes with one on one counseling, which makes it ideal if you’re trying to build a more sustainable healthy lifestyle.
Medifast is the right choice for you if you’re looking for strictly gluten-free meals. Unfortunately, at this time, Nutrisystem does not have gluten-free meal options which may make it difficult for anyone with gluten intolerance to benefit from their services.
Medifast claims that you will lose an average of 2 to 5 pounds each week on their diets. The results will vary from person to person. But the Medifast diet plan is strategically curated to encourage your body to lose weight healthily.
What Service Is the Best?
Medifast is a good meal kit delivery service if you’re looking for a more convenient way to plan out a whole month’s worth of your diet. Their plans cost $300 on average, which roughly translates to under $2 per meal. Your meals are pre-chosen, with a few optional add-ons. Plus, there are also a few microwaveable meal options which cut down your cooking and meal prep requirement significantly.
But I did find that Wonderslim provided better value compared to Medifast. Each meal will fall roughly under $2 for each of their meal plans, and you have the ability to choose your meals as well.
Their meal plans are curated according to male and female calorie requirements, and there are also specific options for nursing mothers or diabetic diets.